Tennessee wedding license laws are simple and affordable for potential brides and grooms from any state. You may obtain a marriage license at all the courthouses in Tennessee. The Smith County Clerk’s office is just ten minutes from the hollow. Most of the state’s County Clerk’s offices are open from Monday through Friday from 8:00 until 5:00, though you should call the clerk’s office that you are planning to use and confirm hours and directions.
• Tennessee Law requires both the bride and groom to be 18 years old.
• Both bride and groom must have either a valid driver’s license, passport or birth certificate. If your Social Security number is not printed on your driver’s license you will need to bring a Social Security card with you.
• If you are not a United States citizen, you must present a valid passport.
• If you have been married before you will also need the month and year of your divorce, or the date of your deceased spouse’s death. If the bride has had a name change in her divorce and has not had her name changed on her driver’s license, she will need to provide a certified copy of her divorce decree.
• There are no waiting periods or blood tests. You can get married the same day as your license is issued and you may obtain your license up to 30 days prior to your wedding, however the license is only valid for 30 days. Both parties must be present to obtain a license.
• Marriage licenses range from $90-$105 and each clerk’s office only accepts cash. If you are traveling through East Tennessee on your way to Butterfly Hollow, you can save a little money by stopping in Sevier County to get your license. Since there are so many high volume wedding chapels in the Smokies, the county gives a discount for non-residents and only charges $38.50
Save time and start the marriage license process online
The marriage license application process can be very time consuming. However, filling out the Groom’s and Bride’s personal information online will allow the County Clerk to process your application more efficiently, which will save you a considerable amount of time. Also, the information entered will be forwarded directly to the appropriate County Clerk’s office, further adding to the efficiency of the application process. You will need to use your marriage license within thirty days of the date issued. CLICK HERE to get started.